When you get home from school, what’s the first thing you do?
It’s very common to be hungry between meals or when you get home at the end of the day before dinner. If you are involved in after-school activities or sports, it’s even more important to keep your energy levels up so you can perform your best.
Keeping snacks on hand that are nutritious and can keep you fueled is important! When you reach for nutritious snacks, you are providing your body with better quality fuel.
Plan Your Snack:
Try and pick foods from at least 2 of the 3 categories listed when building a snack! Check out our visual below for ideas.
- Veggies and Fruit
- These add nutrients, fiber, and are super good for us
- Whole Grains and Starchy Foods
- These contain carbohydrates which are our bodies main fuel source
- They also provide a healthy dose of fiber which helps keep us fuller for longer
- Protein Foods
- Protein helps keep you full and helps repair cells and muscles
- Choose vegetarian or animal proteins
- Peanut Butter Banana Toast:
Toast = Whole grain
Banana = Fruit
Peanut Butter = Protein food
- Crackers and Cheese:
Whole Wheat Crackers = Whole grain
Cheese = Protein food
Pingback: Spotlight: Protein - Meant2Prevent Kitchen